[AstroPy] New PyRAF Programmer's Guide available

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Wed May 12 15:00:59 CDT 2004

A PyRAF Programmer's Guide has been added to the PyRAF documentation
page:

http://stsdas.stsci.edu/pyraf/doc/index.html

HTML: http://stsdas.stsci.edu/pyraf/doc/pyraf_guide/pyraf_guide.html
PDF:  http://stsdas.stsci.edu/pyraf/doc/pyraf_guide/pyraf_guide.pdf
Compressed Postscript:
http://stsdas.stsci.edu/pyraf/doc/pyraf_guide/pyraf_guide.ps.gz

This Guide explains many of the details of how to:

1) Write Python scripts to use IRAF tasks, particularly to be
   run as scripts outside of the PyRAF command line mode.
2) Wrap pure Python scripts or programs and use them like
   IRAF tasks are used (with CL syntax and parameter editing).
3) Define new IRAF tasks in Python syntax.
4) Deal with I/O redirection in Python scripts.
5) Trap IRAF task errors.
6) Manipulate IRAF task parameters including saving and restoring
   them to and from files.
7) Use many of the utility functions available in PyRAF
8) Access the generated Python code for IRAF CL scripts.

We welcome suggestions for improving this guide. Please
send them to help at stsci.edu