[AstroPy] Design document for the AstroAsciiData library is online

W.T. Bridgman William.T.Bridgman.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 25 13:07:19 CST 2005

I've been hacking custom readers for most of the ASCII data files I
process with Python so this has appeal.  IDL did not have the best
functionality for reading these types of files, especially when the
number of lines was unknown.

A format that I've used often are the ASCII data tables formerly kept
at http://adc.gsfc.nasa.gov but which can now be retrieved via
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/cats/Cats.htx.
A reader for these files would readily fit into the AsciiData model.

These data files also have a fairly standard README with info on the
file format.  I wonder if the table browser actually parses the README
to build the web interface on-the-fly.  This might also be a useful
method in AsciiData for building the column metadata, or perhaps as a
subclass of AsciiData.

Tom