[AstroPy] Comments sought on WCS library

Paul Barrett barrett at stsci.edu
Fri Feb 25 14:36:14 CST 2005

W.T. Bridgman wrote:

> I'm apparently not currently a member that can post to the wiki and
> I'm not sure where this should go since it is also relevant to the
> AstroLibCoords page.

If you are a member of the AstroPy mailing list, then you can edit the
wiki pages. Check the monthly mailing list reminder for your password.

 -- Paul

> The focus so far seems to be more on dealing with sky coordinates
> (understandable).  I'd like to note that the solar data groups have
> expressed some interest in python and I use pyFITS for an increasing
> amount of my solar image processing.  While it may take some time to
> get various coordinate transformations implemented, we should be
> careful not to setup a system that is difficult/impossible to expand
> to other systems.  I do notice some mention of mapping 2-D to 3-D
> coordinate systems so maybe this covers that aspect?

Agreed!

 -- Paul

> Tom
>
> On Feb 24, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Perry Greenfield wrote:
>
>> We (STScI) have started work on implementing a WCS library. I've
>> put some thoughts about the form that library should take (its
>> functionality and user interface) on the astrolib wiki. We'd be
>> interested in any feedback or comments about what features and
>> interface a WCS library should have.
>>
>> http://www.scipy.org/wikis/topical_software/AstroLibWCS
>>
>> Perry Greenfield

> --
> Dr. William T."Tom" Bridgman               Scientific Visualization
> Studio
> Global Science & Technology, Inc.          NASA/Goddard Space Flight
> Center
> Email: William.T.Bridgman.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov  Code 610.3
> Phone: 301-286-1346                        Greenbelt, MD 20771
> FAX:   301-286-1634                        http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Paul Barrett, PhD      Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475    ESS/Science Software Branch
FAX:   410-338-4767    Baltimore, MD 21218