[AstroPy] Re: functional interface for PyFITS?: foo.fits[2]

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Tue Mar 22 11:42:52 CST 2005

There are lots of examples of really bad coding and computer behavior
in IRAF.  We switched to Python to get *away* from IRAF and its
numerous headaches, not to bring them with us.  CFITSIO did not have
the best-considered design, either.  Please, let's not pollute this
package with all the bad examples we can find from all the other code
in the world.  That will make it totally unusable.  Save that stuff
for compatibility functions.

--jh--