[AstroPy] Re: HIERARCH

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Mar 31 10:24:34 CST 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 11:07 AM, Andrew Ptak wrote:

> It would also make sense to add a "strict" keyword to header functions,
> to turn toggle FITS conformance testing (or exceptions).  I haven't had
> a chance to use pyfits yet (mainly due to poor performance of numarray
> with small arrays... is this still a problem, by the way?), but this

That all depends (as usual). Ufuncs are generally 4 times slower but it
all depends on the specific thing you are doing with small arrays
(ufuncs,
indexing, array functions, matrix libraries, etc.). Recent improvements
have made it closer to 2 time slower (but not released). If you are
seeing
numbers much different than a factor of 4 slower (based on v1.2.3) let
us
know, there are likely various things that can be fixed that we just may
not know about until someone points them out.