[AstroPy] numpy; bulk coordinate conversions

Russell E Owen rowen at u.washington.edu
Thu May 11 11:35:53 CDT 2006

At 12:11 PM +0100 5/11/06, Andrew Jaffe wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Thanks very much for providing and supporting the various astropy
>packages. Two
>questions:
>
>- are there plans to upgrade to numpy from numarray/numeric?
>
>- I've got to convert a large number -- potentially millions -- of
>   points between coordinate systems. Is there a recommended and/or easy
>   way to do this? (I think this is two separate questions, really: how
>   should I store millions of positions, and how should I then do the
>   conversion?)

One way to do coordinate conversions is to use the RO.Astro package
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen/ROPython.html>
RO is pure python (and uses Numeric), so I'm not sure it'll be fast
enough, but it is worth trying. slalib (C code) would be another
option, but you'll have to either do the whole job in c or write the
c/python interface (though at one time there was a swig wrapper for
slalib, I have not been able to find it recently).

As to storing a million positions...you could use a text file or a
database. The latter makes more sense if you want to search the
results.

-- Russell