[AstroPy] Python-generated skymaps

cygnusxlist@ma... cygnusxlist@ma...
Mon Aug 20 21:21:00 CDT 2007

I'd been looking to improve the background star fields in the SVS
visualizations and finally had some time to expand on some skymap
generation code I'd developed for another project.  These maps were
generated using python, PIL, numpy, and some scipy.

To see and download our new maps, available in several high-
resolution sizes and magnitude limits, check here:

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003400/a003442/

These are mapped for Cylindrical-Equidistant (Platte-Carre)
projection with stars distorted so they return to 'disks' when
projected on a sphere as is done by many animation tools we use.

Feel free to contact me if you notice any problems (such as
significant objects missing??) beyond those noted in the
description.  If you know of additional datasets to improve the
product, I'd be interested in that as well.

Tom
--
W.T. Bridgman, Ph.D.
Physics & Astronomy