[AstroPy] Getting Started with Python and FITS

Maximilian Fabricius mxhf@gmx....
Wed Apr 1 07:38:31 CDT 2009

No, pyfits is only for the IO. No graphics.

I am sure that you will be able to read a bmp file into
some array and then to store it using pyfits (BTW 24Bits!?).
I have never done that, though.

Neat, can Numdisplay also access the xpa interface?

2009/4/1 Wayne Watson <sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal.net>:
> Ultimately, I must display it in Python. If numdisplay is it, then that'll
> likely do. I would have thought pyfits would have a display method.
>
> At some point, I will want to convert a raw image, 640x480, of some bit
> depth (8, 16, 24) to a fits format. I might need to convert jpb images to
> fits too. Comments?
>
> Christopher Hanley wrote:
>
> Another easy way to display a data section from a FITS file is to use
> numdisplay and DS9.
>
> http://stsdas.stsci.edu/numdisplay/
>
> Numdisplay will work with and ndarray from numpy.  It is a one line command
> after the import
>
>> import numdisplay
>> numdisplay.display(yourArrayObject)
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>

> --
>
>            Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
>
>              (121.01 Deg. W, 39.26 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
>

>           The Obama Administration plans to double the production
>           in solar energy from 1% to 2% of the total energy
>           supply in the next few years. One nuclear reaction
>           would do the same. Heard on Bill Wattenburg, KGO-AM
>
>           "Less than all cannot satisfy Man." -- William Blake

  Maximilian Fabricius
  * Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics (MPE)
     Giessenbachstrasse, D-85748 Garching, Germany
  * University Observatory Munich /   Wendelstein Observatory
     Scheinerstr. 1, D-81679 München, Germany
  eMail:  mxhf@mpe.mpg.de
  Phone:  +49 89 30000 3694
  FAX:    +49 89 30000 3495