[AstroPy] Data Analysis and Programming in Python

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal....
Wed Apr 8 06:38:20 CDT 2009

Hi, Warren.
   I'm picking up on the part of the thread above that you branched off
on here, because I'd like to highlight and clarify what I'm after
without having it buried in that long thread.

Well, I took a peek at the data analysis pdf file. My impression is that
this is for people who want to do interactive data analysis, and
probably know little about Python. What I'm doing is modifying a 2000+
line of Python code to add new features that will do analysis of meteor
images. To collect images, it uses a special hardware box. Ultimately,
the user sees these images in a non-standard file format, which only the
app understands.   I would like to, for one of many things, allow users
to convert these images to fits. Suppose I do that and stop there. It
_might_ be possible to convince the users to use the data analysis
program. It's doubtful though, since they are pretty much neophytes.
They do understand how to operate the program in the present form, which
basically provides no analytic capabilities. If I can add fits and
analyticd features to the program, there is a good chance they will use
them. I think sending them off to the data analysis tool here would not
work. Not yet anyway.

To put it simply, I'm looking for some capability to add features that
will allow the program to both read and write fits format files. Adding
analytic capabilites is important, but not the point here.  It appears
that, at least, one can use pyfits to read fits files, and one can embed
this code in a Python program.  I posted the coding aspects of doing
this in a thread above, and finally got someone to respond with code
that looks like:

    from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
    import pyfits

    image = pyfits.getdata('mpl51.fits')

    fig = plt.figure()
    ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
    ax.imshow(image)
    fig.canvas.draw()
    plt.show()

This is close to what I'm looking for. Right now I'm lacking away to
read, say, a jpg, fits, or gif file, and convert it to fits. I'm also
lacking a way to convert the internal image format to fits. The latter
is very important.

             (121.01 Deg. W, 39.26 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)****

          "Less than all cannot satisfy Man." -- William Blake