[AstroPy] Coding in Python to Read/Write a fits file.

Andrew Ptak ptak@pha.jhu....
Wed Apr 8 10:30:23 CDT 2009

Hello,
I wouldn't trust any science analysis done on an arbitrary image that
isn't in FITS (or some other scientific format).   You need to be sure
that flux, noise, etc. have been properly preserved and calibrated for
any believable analysis.  First of all, jpeg is itself a lossy
compression format, but in general you don't know what smoothing,
filtering, etc. might have been done to the original data to make a
press release image.  You might be able to get away an order-of-mag.
estimate of some quantities if the amount of processing had been minimal
and you are very familiar with the type of data that went into the image.

Cheers,
Andy Ptak