[AstroPy] Google SketchUp & and Astronomy

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal....
Tue Apr 28 12:47:09 CDT 2009

A week or so I asked about a graphics package that might draw
conventional geometric coordinates and the like that are often found in
advanced astro books. That is, the use would be for documentation, and
report writing. Visual Python was suggested. I gave it a try, and it
wasn't quite right. Nevertheless, a very good program. I just learned of
SketchUp and watched a very impressive short video on their web site.
<http://sketchup.google.com/product/gsu.html> Has anyone used this for
astronomy applications? It appears to be free.

           All the neutrons, and protons in the human body occupy
           a cube whose side is 5.52*10**-6 meters (tiny!). That
           adds up to a 150 pound person. It's not a surprise that
           we are mostly space. (Calculation by WTW)