[AstroPy] Past Mention of Source Extractor Command in IRAF?

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal....
Tue Apr 28 19:25:10 CDT 2009

Probably not, but is what you mentioned source extraction? The idea is
that you take a picture of some part of the night sky, and then turn it
over to the source extractor. It twists, rescales, and turns your image
every which way until it matches 10 or more corresponding objects
(stars, etc.) in a photographic atlas of some sort. If it looks right,
you can then extract information about those objects and maybe others.
It's an astrometric tool.

James Turner wrote:
>> I believe in some of my exchanges on this mailing list in the last
>> many works someone mentioned an IRAF facility akin to what is
>> popularly called source extract. Mention was made of what could be
>> considered a command name that somehow is used in connection with the
>> idea. Does anyone know what that single (command) word was or where I
>> would find the extractor topic discussed in IRAF?
>
> Is it noao.digiphot.apphot (type "help apphot")?
>
> James.

           All the neutrons, and protons in the human body occupy
           a cube whose side is 5.52*10**-6 meters (tiny!). That
           adds up to a 150 pound person. It's not a surprise that
           we are mostly space. (Calculation by WTW)