[AstroPy] Past Mention of Source Extractor Command in IRAF?

James Turner jturner@gemini....
Tue Apr 28 19:38:31 CDT 2009

> Probably not, but is what you mentioned source extraction? The idea is
> that you take a picture of some part of the night sky, and then turn it
> over to the source extractor. It twists, rescales, and turns your image
> every which way until it matches 10 or more corresponding objects
> (stars, etc.) in a photographic atlas of some sort. If it looks right,
> you can then extract information about those objects and maybe others.
> It's an astrometric tool.

It can identify stars in the image and do photometry (not sure whether
it's any good for extended sources -- I don't do a lot of imaging). I'm
not sure I'd describe source extraction and astrometry as the same thing;
maybe imcoords would be better if you want to do astrometry? Others
may have more expert recommendations.

Either way, "help apphot" and "help imcoords" will tell you more than
I can.

James.