[AstroPy] Past Mention of Source Extractor Command in IRAF?

Peter Erwin erwin@mpe.mpg...
Tue Apr 28 23:58:41 CDT 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, at 2:25 AM, Wayne Watson wrote:

> Probably not, but is what you mentioned source extraction? The idea is
> that you take a picture of some part of the night sky, and then turn
> it
> over to the source extractor. It twists, rescales, and turns your
> image
> every which way until it matches 10 or more corresponding objects
> (stars, etc.) in a photographic atlas of some sort. If it looks right,
> you can then extract information about those objects and maybe others.
> It's an astrometric tool.

This sounds like a combination of two or three things: source
extraction;
catalog matching, and generating astrometric solutions.  I can't quite
tell
from your description how much of each you're interested in.  But here's
some background:

1. Source extraction: this refers to a program which analyzes a FITS
image and
finds "sources" -- places that are brighter than the background, such
as stars
and galaxies (but hopefully not random noise spikes).  It generates a
table which
lists each source, its position, and various measurements derived
directly from the image (brightness, size, shape, orientation, etc.).
It knows nothing
about other atlases or catalogs; it just reports what it can measure
on that particular
image.

Note that the position that the source extraction program reports are
positions
on the image in pixel coordinates (x, y).  If the FITS image happens
to have
astrometric information in the header already (see below), then it
will also calculate and
report the sky coordinates (RA, Declination) for each source.  The
latter
coordinates will be as good or bad as the astrometric information in
the FITS
header.  A source extraction program does not do astrometry by itself
at all; what
it does do is generate lists of sources which can then be used in the
astrometry
process.

As others have pointed out, there are some tasks within IRAF that will
do this.
There is also the standalone program SExtractor, which is designed to
be run
from the command line (Unix/MacOS X,  or Cygwin).

2. Catalog matching: this means taking each source in the extracted
catalog and
identifying it with a known astronomical object, such as a star in a
star catalog.
Generally, this requires having good sky coordinates for the image.

If you *don't* have sky coordinates for the image, then you may need
to match a few
objects (e.g. three or four bright stars) by hand (e.g., compare your
image with a sky
atlas to figure out which star is which, then copy the RA,Dec
coordinates by hand).  This
will give you a starting list for making an initial astometry
solution. From there,
you can repeat the process (using the image with updated headers) and
get a better
astrometry solution using the full list of sources from the source
extraction stage.

3. Generating an astrometry solution: this means taking a matched list
of object
coordinates in your image -- that is, a list of objects for which you
have positions
on the image (pixel coordinates x, y) *and* their correct positions on
the sky
(e.g., RA, Declination from a catalog) -- and then finding a general
solution that
maps pixel coordinates (x,y) to sky coordinates (RA, Dec).  The
resulting solution
is then stored in the FITS header, so that other programs can read it
and convert
pixel coordinates (x,y) to sky coordinates (RA,Dec) automatically.

There are tasks within IRAF which do this; there is also a standalone
program
called SCAMP (designed to work with catalogs produced by SExtractor).

The astrometry.net project is intended to be a sort of all-in-one
solution for Step 3,
doing Steps 1 and 2 automatically along the way as needed.  If it
works out as
planned (and it sounds like they're making progress), it will probably
end up being
all you (or even most of us!) ever need.  I'm impressed as hell with
their ambition.
But at the moment it's in an alpha stage; I've never tried it, the web
interface requires
registering as an "alpha tester", and it looks like installing it on
your own machine
would require several gigabytes of disk space.

In the meantime, you might also look at the programs here:
http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/software/wcstools/

cheers,

Peter

Peter Erwin                   Max-Planck-Insitute for Extraterrestrial
erwin@mpe.mpg.de              Physics, Giessenbachstrasse
tel. +49 (0)89 30000 3695     85748 Garching, Germany
fax  +49 (0)89 30000 3495     http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~erwin