[AstroPy] 3-D Graphics Tools for for Documentation, Presentations, etc.

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal....
Tue Dec 22 23:37:58 CST 2009

It was some months ago when I posted this, and had limited time to
really look at the tools suggested. I did delve into Visual Python, but
it wasn't really suitable for the task. I ended up doing my drawings in
Word, and omitted spheres and arcs for the most part, but did draw
coordinate systems with labels. It worked. However, I still am curious
about drawing coordinate systems.

In my present case I have three coordinate systems going for two
observing stations on the earth, a meteor moving overhead, and the
general earht centered system. What I'm ultimately trying to do is to
solve for the az-el of points on the meteor path (great circle is fine,
60 miles high), for each station. Currently, I'm drawing this with
pencil and paper. It's working, and helps my thinking and computations.
It does produce a lot erasures and re-draws.  I'd be curious if anyone
has done this in mayavi2 or S2PLOT? Any examples? I have more freedom to
see what's available.

Wayne Watson wrote:
> Many years ago to put together a presentation or article on celestial
> mechanics, spherical trig, trajectory analysis, etc. I would use a
> compass, ruler, and maybe a French curve to draw the figures, coordinate
> axes, etc. on paper. Labels would be typed onto the sheets. I would like
> to think that over the last decade that some modest software package
> might be available to do this. Does anyone know of any?

             "... humans'innate skills with numbers isn't much
              better than that of rats and dolphins."
                       -- Stanislas Dehaene, neurosurgeon

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>