[AstroPy] WCS on Windows?

Jim Vickroy Jim.Vickroy@noaa....
Wed Jul 8 12:52:15 CDT 2009

Marshall Perrin wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I've got an undergrad student with a Windows laptop, who's just
> informed me that she can't get any of the available WCS modules to
> compile or install properly on it. Not pywcs, not astWCS from astLib,
> nor WCS from Kapteyn.   The problems all seem to have to do with the C
> compilation parts... I myself gave up Windows long ago and thus doubt
> I'll be able to help her sort through the compiler errors in a useful
> fashion.
>
> So my questions now are
> 1) Has anyone successfully compiled any of the above on Windows, and
> if so, how?, and
> 2) Are there any pure-Python implementations of WCS transformations?
> Really just the very basics (xy to ad for tangential projections and
> vice versa) are all she needs for the project I want her to work on...
> I suppose I should just have her implement the relevant equations
> herself, but that feels like a bit too much reinventing the wheel
> unless there's no other choice.
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
>   - Marshall

I have an experimental version of pywcs (provided by Michael Droettboom
<mailto:mdroe@stsci.edu>) on my Windows XP machine using Python 2.5 and
the Microsoft C compiler.  AFAIK, that version has not been officially
released.  I can probably zip the contents of the build folder and
e-mail that to you.  Alternately, contact Michael (mdroe@stsci.edu )
about the status of this version; he was very helpful.

Let me know.
-- jv