[AstroPy] Advice against learning IRAF in favor of learning Python

David Goldsmith d_l_goldsmith@yahoo....
Thu Jun 25 13:44:23 CDT 2009

> Speaking as someone who made the IDL->Python switch and
> had to
> learn IRAF along the way for other reasons, I would
> *not* recommend that anyone who didn't already know IRAF
> bother
> to learn it at this point. Going straight to Python is a
> MUCH easier learning curve.
>
> cheers,
> Vicki Laidler

I assume you mean learning PyRAF (in addition to learning Python) instead of learning IRAF.  But wouldn't one benefit in their use of PyRAF to know "a thing or two" about IRAF?

DG