[AstroPy] pyfits: reading fits data problem

Perry Greenfield perry@stsci....
Tue May 26 10:32:09 CDT 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 9:26 AM, Guillaume Blanc wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your quick replies...
> Actually my fits file was effectively not "standard". If I set the
> DATE keyword in the standard form (using the sethead script from
> wcstools), it works, even if the fits verifier says: "*** Error:
> File has extra byte(s) after last HDU at byte 63360." ??
>
> But perhaps the pyfits library is too tightly linked to the
> standard... And the error sent was quite enigmatic.
>
> Cheers,
> Guillaume

Apparently the fundamental problem is that the original file contains
newlines in the header. PyFITS is not finding the end of header as a
result and everything is thrown off regarding file size. It's possible
that in fixing the DATE value you fixed most of these newline issues
inadvertently (thus it looked like fixing date fixed the problem).
While we could spend time trying to have PyFITS handle all sorts of
nonstandard header characters, this is one we decided not to handle
explicitly. Whatever software is generating these newline-laden
headers really ought to be fixed instead.

Thanks, Perry