[AstroPy] Meteor Methods--Atmospheric Trajectories, PC Book on Astronmy

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal....
Wed Nov 25 09:52:48 CST 2009

Perhaps the best way is to refer you to the 2009 edition of the book.
You'll be using the Amazon Search Book facility. They've made it a bit
harder to use, perhaps, but the paragraph below will let you piece
together the critical pages in the astrometry section. I have some these
pages copied from a much earlier book, and this section has definitely
been expanded. The ppmcat portion I finally direct you looks like a big
improvement on the tiny catalog they used in an earlier edition.

<http://www.amazon.com/Astronomy-Personal-Computer-Oliver-Montenbruck/dp/3540672214/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259111820&sr=1-1>
See the Look Inside icon on the upper left and enter the word astrometry
when the small dialog window opens up. You will then see the first page
that shows that word. Use the right button to go to the next result.
That is the page that's the start of chapter 12. Now use the right arrow
to move through the pages. I can only get through the first three pages,
but you'll begin to see what they are doing. To go further, do this. Go
back to the search dialog and enter "plate reduction" (no quotes). Skip
to the second result and you should be on page 254. Now use the arrow to
go to successive pages. You'll get some more info about what they are
doing. If you care to go on, go back to find again and enter squares
adjustment. Move via next button to 256, then move ahead one page at a
time. By then you should have a good idea of what this is about.

To get a summary of that section use ppmcat for find. Some of the
summary pages are blocked, but at least you'll get some idea what all
this produces.