[AstroPy] pyregion : python parser for ds9 region files

Jae-Joon Lee lee.j.joon@gmail....
Mon Oct 19 12:41:09 CDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:45 AM, James Turner <jturner@gemini.edu> wrote:
> Hi Jae-Joon,
>
> That looks interesting! It sounds like these region files are specific
> do DS9. I wonder whether there is a way to make it work with ximtool
> as well? Presumably it would require extending numdisplay or wrapping
> the IRAF "Client Display Library" and making it work like a back end?
> I'm guessing that's not a small amount of work though.

Yes. what I wanted is to create regions files using ds9 and display
them with matplotlib.
For the ximtool part, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I wonder
if ximtool itself can handle ds9 region files. However, if you're
talking about manipulating ds9 with something like numdisplay, you can
simply use ds9's xpa protocol.

Regards,

-JJ