[AstroPy] Python Functions for Horizontal to Equatorial and vice versa?

Victoria G. Laidler laidler@stsci....
Thu Apr 22 09:32:10 CDT 2010

Hi all,

Johann Cohen-Tanugi wrote:
> hi Wayne,
>
> I am getting a bit lost in the reorganization of the sts software, and
> several cross-references from sts to scipy seem broken.
> Anyway, there is https://www.stsci.edu/trac/ssb/astrolib
> and inside you have the package coords, which was claimed to be a large
> port of the IDM astron library parts that deal with astronomical
> coordinates. I am not sure what the status of this is. Anyone on this list?

I'm the primary developer of the Coords package. It's not in active
development right now but what's there is stable. It doesn't presently
provide transformation methods to and from altazimuth coordinates, but
the Position.tpmstate() method does provide an "expert user" interface
for the underlying TPM package, which does. You can see the API docs here:
http://stsdas.stsci.edu/astrolib/coords_api/index.html

I don't have the time right now to implement support for altaz
coordinates, but if anyone else wants to do so we'll happily take a
patch if it comes with tests.

cheers,
Vicki Laidler