[AstroPy] Does anyone here use The Software Bisque Orchestrate Program?

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview@sbcglobal....
Sun Aug 8 21:42:53 CDT 2010


Well, I fully agree. Just stop.

I might add though there are a fair number of professional astronomers 
who use the equipment. In fact, in some important searches, a virtual 
field of this equipment is deployed on some pretty fair sized parcels. A 
good number of amateurs with this equipment work with pros.

On 8/8/2010 7:26 PM, Wolfgang Kerzendorf wrote:
>    Dear Wayne,
>
> Let me stop this right here, before this turns into a flaming war.
> Obviously we don't know how long you took searching, it just appeared
> (also from previous questions) that you might very quickly decide to
> write to the list before doing a proper investigation.
>
> Regarding the question in the title, it is often more helpful if you
> give a very brief overview(like 3-4 words) in the subject and much more
> detail in the main body. for example: operating system, precise problem
> description, aim for the solution, ... . Without this information the
> people on the list become frustrated as it is not a question they can
> answer and they don't (and can't) see the point.
>
> Most of us on this list are also professional astronomers, meaning that
> we often don't know companies like bisque. I'm sure they produce quality
> astronomical software but probably not that useful for our problems. So
> if you want help on those problems, I suggest giving us much more info
> on those. Remember that what is well known in the amateur circles might
> not be at all known in professional circles.
>
> This email is not meant to discourage you to post questions to this
> list, but to encourage you to change your style.
>
> cheers
>       Wolfgang
>
> On 9/08/10 11:56 AM, Wayne Watson wrote:
>    
>> If you don't recognize what's in the title, why read it? I consider it a
>> filter. You make a huge assumption that is incorrect. That is I haven't
>> searched for the answer elsewhere.
>>
>> On 8/8/2010 5:28 PM, Tommy Grav wrote:
>>      
>>> On Aug 8, 2010, at 8:21 PM, Wayne Watson wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>        
>>>> Well, I think you are wrong about my post, but you do not know the
>>>> reason why. The reason is this. First, The Bisque writes very
>>>> professional astronomy software for their products, one of which is a
>>>> hig quality GEM robotic mount. Further, Orchestrate is able to utilize
>>>> programs written in Visual Basic Script, JavaScript, Perl and other high
>>>> level languages. If I'm not mistaken it does this in first three
>>>> languages by the user providing a "compiled" version to Orchestrate.
>>>> Using, say, VB, one is able to write "auxillary" programs with a GUI as
>>>> an aid to operation.
>>>>
>>>> So my follow up question is will Python work with it Python? Python can
>>>> produce exe files, as I understand it but neither the Bisque or I know
>>>> if they work. My questions stand until the moderator says otherwise.
>>>>
>>>>          
>>> How about actually stating you question properly in the original email,
>>> rather than an email without even a proper body, just a question in the
>>> header. Originally the question was has anyone used this software, now it is
>>> has anyone got python to work with it. Those are two very different
>>> questions. The first is hardly on topic, the second is semi-on topic
>>> for this list.
>>>
>>> Also take the time to do some investigating on your own, and spend more than
>>> 30 seconds writing exactly what you are trying to find out. An email
>>> with a question in the header does not give incentive for anyone to spend
>>> their own precious time helping you out. If you have not noticed, your style
>>> over the few days have started rubbing people around the python mailing lists
>>> the wrong way, so a softer style might give you more help.
>>>
>>> Tommy
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> AstroPy mailing list
>>> AstroPy@scipy.org
>>> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/astropy
>>>
>>>
>>>        
> _______________________________________________
> AstroPy mailing list
> AstroPy@scipy.org
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/astropy
>
>    

-- 
            Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)

              (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
               Obz Site:  39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

             "An experiment is a question which science poses to
              Nature, and a measurement is the recording of
              Nature’s answer." -- Max Planck


                     Web Page:<www.speckledwithstars.net/>



More information about the AstroPy mailing list