[AstroPy] Python Books for Beginners?

Rick White rlw@stsci....
Fri Feb 5 13:52:23 CST 2010

You might want to look at "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist",
which is written specifically for teaching Python as a first
programming language.  It was originally written for high school
students.  I have not actually used it for teaching, but I think it
might be usable for a college-level introductory course too.

It is 270 pages, which is a much more reasonable size.  And it has the
advantage of being available both in a published version and for free
download (in PDF) or online reading (HTML):

http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

There are versions available for other programming languages too, but
why would you start anywhere except Python?

- Rick