[AstroPy] new pyfits version deletes NP_pyfits, breaking pickle

Joe Harrington jh@physics.ucf....
Fri Nov 12 09:39:21 CST 2010

Stefan, you make very good points, and we're aware of them.  We do
rigorously separate code and data, and we do save our final
lightcurves and tables as FITS.  We also save PNG and PS plots (each
generated automatically in both projection and print versions), tables
in both straight ASCII and Latex, and the text output of each run.

But internally, we have to rely on complex Python objects to manage in
a simple way what has become a very complex analysis.  The analysis
has branches, so we need to save at each branch point so that we can
start parallel sessions that will load from that branch point and
handle each of the branches (otherwise we end up reading the same
gigabyte data set and finding all the bad pixels in it 50 times, for
each of 100 data sets).  It's the short delays between running the
early stages and doing the 50 variants that's giving us the headache
right now.

Our archiving is simply to save the code (under SVN, with version
numbers of everything recorded in each run), input data, and ancillary
stuff that makes each analysis unique, and record how to run the
pipeline to regenerate what we need.

We update our OS and Python stack annually, and we archive those
(including sources) so that we can in principle rerun under old
software, though I hope that will never be necessary.  My experience
has been that when questions are raised about old projects, they're
usually answered by looking at the code and work logs, along with the
plots, figures, and final data saved at the time.

--jh--