[AstroPy] equivalent routine to IDL Astronomy Library lineid_plot

Jonathan Slavin jslavin@cfa.harvard....
Wed Aug 24 10:19:06 CDT 2011

If I had the time to do that adaptation, I'd certainly do it -- and may
yet -- but it does depend on a lot of things that are very IDL specific
such as the character size and plot region, etc.  I think that there are
some good hints in the discussion on automatically creating enough room
for tick labels (http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/howto_faq.html),
but there's quite a bit more needed than that.

Jon

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 11:48 -0300, Taro Sato wrote:
> I have my own custom routine to display line identifications at given
> redshift but it's not smart enough to avoid overlapping; it only
> alternates the offsets so that adjacent labels won't always overlap.
> What you have in your example plot is certainly doable with MPL...
> It's tricky to ensure that labels are readable most of the time but
> since you know how to approach the problem, why don't you create one
> and make it available publicly!  If the desired algorithm needed is
> already coded in the IDL script it shouldn't be too painful.  :D
Jonathan D. Slavin              Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin@cfa.harvard.edu         60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981           Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
 cell: (781) 363-0035           USA