[AstroPy] Using MacPorts for Python

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille@gmail....
Mon Jul 25 11:36:04 CDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

Earlier this year I was given commit privileges to the MacPorts
(http://www.macports.org/) package index, and I've already added a few
Astronomy Python packages. After moved between various install methods
in the last couple of years (system Python, EPD, source install,
python.org distribution, ...) I've now settled on using the Python
distribution from MacPorts. One of my main reasons for doing this is
that I needed some complex packages (Qt and GTK+) which are not
included in EPD, and by far the easiest way to install them has been
through MacPorts. However, I believe a MacPorts Python distribution
can still be very useful even if you don't need these packages, so
I've compiled a list of simple instructions to set up a full Python
distribution using MacPorts on Mac:

http://astrofrog.github.com/macports-python/

Updating packages is easy, and dependencies are automatically taken
care of. For now I recommend using Python 2.7 as indicated in the
instructions. I would welcome any feedback, especially if you run into
issues, and would also welcome suggestions for other packages to add.
For new packages you can either email me directly or open a ticket on
MacPorts and cc robitaille@macports.org on the ticket. To report
issues with the instructions, open an issue at:

https://github.com/astrofrog/macports-python

Note that it's possible/easy to install several Python versions with
MacPorts at the same time and you can switch which one is the default
with 'port select', or call the version you want directly with
ipython-3.1 for example. This makes it ideal if you want to be able to
test your code using different python versions or want to experiment
with Python 3.

Cheers,
Thomas