[AstroPy] PyFITS and mmap

Erik Bray embray@stsci....
Mon Sep 26 09:30:17 CDT 2011

On 09/23/2011 09:44 PM, Erik Tollerud wrote:
>> I could try turning it on here at STScI and see if any problems arise.
>> Warren and I also discussed adding a global default--something like
>> pyfits.USE_MEMMAP--that can be used to easily control the default for
>> all pyfits.open() calls.
>
> I this idea of having changeable defaults like this is a great idea...
> but I think even better than a global variable would be to adopt some
> sort of very simple configuration file akin to matplotlibrc.  You
> could stick a few other options in there too.  In particular, I would
> love to be able to also set pyfits.core.EXTENSION_NAME_CASE_SENSITIVE
> to default to True.  I usually end up change it by hand in pyfits once
> I install it, but that's annoying to do at every version update (and
> its a bit hackey).

I'm not too huge on adding an rc file for PyFITS if only because there
are only so many 'global' options it has to tweak.
EXTENSION_NAME_CASE_SENSITIVE is the only one right now.

On the other hand, adding such a file would open the door to adding more
options and configurable defaults, so it could be worth considering (in
addition to environment variables, for people who prefer to use them).

Erik B.