[AstroPy] Kapteyn Package 2.2 released
Sat Apr 21 07:32:46 CDT 2012
We would like to announce the release of version 2.2 of the Kapteyn
Package, a collection of Python modules developed by the computer group
of the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute, University of Groningen, The
- A class for solving non-linear least squares problems using the
Levenberg-Marquardt technique. It is based on the implementation in C
of Craig Markwardt’s MPFIT routine. Besides reference documentation,
an extensive tutorial is provided.
- Many smaller improvements and some bugfixes.
- Classes for the handling of spatial and spectral coordinates, WCS
projections and transformations between different sky systems.
For WCS, Dr. Mark Calabretta's WCSLIB 4.13.3 is used. WCSLIB is
integrated in the package and need not be installed separately.
- Tools for writing small applications for the display and interactive
inspection of (FITS) data and for the creation of plots with world
coordinate information, including all-sky plots. A class for plotting
shapes like ellipses, rectangles and regular polygons. Support for
- Utilities for use with Matplotlib such as obtaining coordinate
information from plots and interactively modifiable colormaps.
- A class for the efficient reading, writing and manipulating of simple
table-like structures in text files.
- A function for estimating Gaussian components in a profile. These
estimates could subsequently be used as initial estimates for a least
Currently supported architectures are Linux, Apple Mac OS X and
Extensive documentation, including tutorial and background information,
as well as download and installation instructions can be found at
Kapteyn Astronomical Institute
University of Groningen
NL-9700 AV Groningen
More information about the AstroPy