[AstroPy] reading one line from many small fits files

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud@gmail....
Fri Aug 3 18:27:50 CDT 2012

See https://github.com/astropy/astropy/wiki/code-examples - I just
added a section just as you suggest. Feel free to add this as you
wish!

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Wolfgang Kerzendorf
<wkerzendorf@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been following this discussion with interest. My two cents: I think PyFits is fast enough for what the most common operations and provides much more functionality. BUT fitsio is useful for iterating over many little files (as shown), I don't think integrating one into the other is useful. They are both useful for different applications.
>
> These email discussions again remind me that we need to have a designated area where to put HOWTOs/examples. This email trail is basically a HOWTO and we should make sure that it doesn't get lost.
>
> Can we get a section on Astropy.org for examples and HOWTOs (publically editably wiki/ for now freeform)
>

> Cheers
>    Wolfgang
>

> On 2012-08-03, at 6:08 PM, Erik Bray wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2012 06:06 PM, Erik Bray wrote:
>>> Indeed--exactly my point. If were to write PyFITS from scratch I would
>>> probably not rely on Numpy as my primary I/O interface, but would
>>> instead serve up Numpy arrays as a high-level abstraction. Under the
>>> hood I would probably do something more closely resembling CFITSIO's
>>> buffer ring (the returned Numpy arrays would of course not be contiguous
>>> by default).
>>
>> Just to clarify, this should read "would not be *guaranteed* contiguous
>> by default".

Erik Tollerud