[AstroPy] Maximum likelihood fit to unbinned data

Paul Barrett pebarrett@gmail....
Sat Dec 22 17:14:05 CST 2012

Eduardo,

What type of data are you trying to fit; time series, spectral or image?

You might want to take a look at what the gamma-ray community has
done, since almost all of their analysis involves photon lists.  You
could also try searching the astrostatistics website.

Personally, I would use a Bayesian approach.  I have successfully used
the Nested Sampling approach to fit FUSE and Chandra spectra. This
algorithm succeeded where the traditional Levenberg-Marquardt
algorithm did not.  The algorithm is described in "Data Analysis: A
Bayesian Approach" by D.S. Sivia.  One of the best introductions to
the subject in my opinion.

 -- Paul