[AstroPy] Including kcorrect as a astropy affiliated package?

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud@gmail....
Sat Jan 7 18:24:50 CST 2012

This sounds like a perfect candidate for an affiliated package - we
probably wouldn't want it in the core right away because it's a
somewhat specific tool (and we would want it to interact more tightly
with some of the in-the-work astropy packages), but I could easily see
it getting merged down the road.

I know the documentation is a bit confusing about what affiliated
packages are - that will be updated as soon as we've gotten all the
automatic documentation tools working... but in a nutshell affiliated
packages are wholly external packages (although we encourage you to
host them in the astropy github organization, if you're willing), but
there will be a registry of affiliated packages and a tool to easily
install them once astropy is installed.  They're also a good way to
get something eventually included in the astropy core that isn't quite
"done cooking" yet.

And just so I understand, the package you've written does nothing with
the IDL layer of kcorrect, right?  It interfaces directly with the
C-level kcorrect? (I ask because I wrote a function
astropysics.phot.kcorrect that just wraps the IDL functionality using
pidly, but that requires that IDL already be installed, so this would
be much better)

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Taro Sato <taro@ap.smu.ca> wrote:
> Hi there.  I have not been diligently following the astropy discussion
> lately, so I may sound totally ignorant but please bear with me.
>
> I've written a Python wrapper for kcorrect by Michael Blanton, a
> popular IDL/C tool for k-correction, photo-z, and all that cool stuff
> people love to do with spectral-energy distribution fitting for high-z
> galaxies these days.  I needed it for research recently and updated
> the Python version to work with the most recent version/data available
> (@ http://howdy.physics.nyu.edu/index.php/Kcorrect).
>
> I just got a permission from Michael to distribute the package
> (conditions of use being to cite his tool paper), and was going to
> make it available somewhere (likely github) and announce it here.
> That handy IDL tool now available on Python, only that you pay $19.99
> USD to me upon each instantiation of KCorrect object!   (...just
> kidding)
>
> But I actually wondered if this sort of thing can be considered for
> inclusion in astropy.
>
> I had no intention of forking Michael's work, just wrote a
> SWIG-extension for the core library and translated just a few of the
> most useful IDL routines in (hopefully) Pythonic ways.  For inclusion
> into astropy, however, I presume that there are some styles,
> interfaces and such to follow, which I'm willing to make changes now
> but wish to make sure it is going to be worth it, not to mention an
> additional permission from the original library writer would be
> necessary.
>
> So my question is, will an independently developed tool like kcorrect
> be considered at all for an astropy module eventually?  If so, how
> should I go about this?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>

> --
> Taro Sato
> Department of Astronomy & Physics
> Saint Mary's University             email: taro@ap.smu.ca
> Halifax, NS B3H 3C3                 phone: (902)420-5018
> Canada                                web: http://ap.smu.ca/~taro

Erik Tollerud