[AstroPy] Back to Python. Precession and PhysConst code.

Erik Bray embray@stsci....
Wed Jan 25 18:31:57 CST 2012

Hi Wayne,

     Your best bet is to install packages into a standard location that
Python is aware of.  On Windows that would be
C:\PythonX.Y\site-packages.  As Russel wrote, one way to do that is to
download the tar.gz file containing the source code, extract it, and
then run setup.py install.

     Another way--for example if you don't have a program in Windows
that can open tar/gz files--is to install easy_install+distribute.
Simply download http://python-distribute.org/distribute_setup.py and run
`python distribute_setup.py`.  Then run: `easy_install RO`.  That should
ensure that the RO package is installed in the proper place where Python
can find it.

Erik

P.S.

     Don't worry about distutils--distutils is the standard product
packaging system that comes with Python.  If you see a Python package
that comes with a file named 'setup.py', then executing `python setup.py
install` will install the package for you in such a way that it can
always be found by Python.  The existence of a setup.py file means that
the package is installable with distutils or some derivative thereof.

     distribute, which I suggested you install, is one such derivative.
  It includes the program called easy_install which makes it relatively
painless (in most cases) to install new Python packages hosted on the
Python Packaging Index (http://pypi.python.org).

     For a full explanation of the Python packaging ecosystem, see my
presentation at http://stsdas.stsci.edu/download/packaging-overview.pdf
  I'll be happy to answer any further questions.