[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] ANN: Astropy v0.1

Tim Jenness tim.jenness@gmail....
Tue Jul 10 10:43:48 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Erik Bray <embray@stsci.edu> wrote:
> Hi, thanks for your work on the Debian packaging.  A few replies to your
> questions inline below:
>

> Agreed.  In addition to libz, io.fits bundles a few *pieces* of cfitsio,
> but not the entirety of it.  Would you want to unbundle that too?  In
> any case, moving it to cextern as you suggest.  (I don't remember the
> conclusion of the wcslib dicussion--was it going to be moved into
> cextern as well?)
>
> The only problem I see is that in some of the zlib and cfitsio files,
> function names were renamed with a _pyfits_ prefix to prevent binding
> those symbols to the system versions of those libraries at runtime.  I
> would need some way to resolve this--perhaps a define in a header file
> somewhere.  Any ideas?

When Ole put the AST library on debian AST initially came bundled with
SOFA and PAL libraries. The way we dealt with that was with an include
file that redefined the function names when we were using the private
versions but could use the normal names when linking against the
installed debian versions. There was a switch to the configure script
for people wanting to link against the installed versions.

--
Tim Jenness