[AstroPy] transferring ownership of astropy.org to numfocus

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud@gmail....
Fri Jun 8 15:51:43 CDT 2012

> While we are on the topic. Since, I have somewhat been maintaining and
> monitoring this, the astropy, maillist for about the past decade, do
> you envision this maillist to be integrated with the numfocus or
> astropy websites?

I can address at least my view for this one (which I *think* the rest
of the Astropy coordinating committee agrees with) and hopefully Perry
can clarify the role/plans for numfocus, as he is a board member.

I see a dual role for this list (and right now, the astropy.org
documentation reflects this).  For one, it can act as sort of an
"astropy-users" list - e.g. questions about how to use astropy in a
practical setting, as well as general Astropy
announcements/discussions.  It would also be great to continue in the
capacity it already has: a sort of general mailing list for any python
astronomy questions.  Obviously, there's a fair amount of overlap
between the two, so hopefully the roles don't conflict.

What it is *not* is the place to discuss ongoing development of the
Astropy project.  That's what the astropy-dev
(http://groups.google.com/group/astropy-dev) is for.

As for who maintains/serves the list, the current situation
(mail.scipy.org) is fine as far as I'm concerned, and I see no reason
to change something that seems to be working.  If in the future, we
start having problems or scipy no longer wants to hold it, it might
make sense to move it, but I see no compelling reason to do so right
now.

Does that sound reasonable?

--
Erik Tollerud