[AstroPy] External packages in astropy

Olе Streicher astropy@liska.ath...
Tue Jun 26 16:52:13 CDT 2012

Michael Droettboom <mdroe@stsci.edu> writes:
> [...] the SIP compatibility patch is considered reasonable for
> upstream and will allow wcslib to accept SIP without actually
> supporting itself (which is a reasonable thing to do).

I would like to come back to my original proposal to move all external
sources to cextern (possibly renaming it to thirdparty, since it may
cover not just C code), and to have a policy that they should remain
untouched -- at least, any change there should be done only if there is
really a good reason, and that

* the original author refuses to incorporate the changes, and

* it cannot be circumvented in the Python code (or at least would have a
  huge drawback)

In this case, these changes should be well-documented, so that a
packager can discuss them with the corresponding maintainer of the
package. Target should always be to use libraries that are already
packaged whereever possible.

Does this sound reasonable?

Best regards

Ole