[AstroPy] Heliocentric Velocity Correction

Kelle Cruz kellecruz@gmail....
Wed Mar 21 08:49:14 CDT 2012

Thanks so much for the responses to Vivienne's (my student) question about
heliocentric velocity.

However, none of these packages were very user friendly and we ended up
just going with IRAF's rvcorrect:
http://stsdas.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/gethelp.cgi?rvcorrect

I hope the eventual astropy has something more straightforward, or at least
better documented with examples.

kelle

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM, David Berry <d.berry@jach.hawaii.edu>wrote:

> Pyast (http://dsberry.github.com/starlink/pyast.html) provides a wide
> range of facilities for handling spectral, celestial and time axes.
> This includes heliocentric velocity correction (amongst other things)
> for spectral axes. In particularly, see the "SpecFrame" class
> (http://www.starlink.ac.uk/docs/sun211.htx/node680.html#SpecFrame). If
> you create two SpecFrames with different properties (i.e. different
> standards of rest, units, geocentic observatory positions, etc), then
> the astConvert method
> (http://www.starlink.ac.uk/docs/sun211.htx/node245.html#xref_astConvert)
> can be used to get the transformation between them.
>
> David
>

> On 13 March 2012 19:58, Scott Ransom <sransom@nrao.edu> wrote:
> > Hi Vivienne,
> >
> > There are heliocentric velocity routines which have many of the major
> > observatories in pyslalib (which wraps the GPL'd version of SLALIB).
> > See the sla_earth routine for a description (and for a way of getting
> > even more accurate values).
> >
> > https://github.com/scottransom/pyslalib
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > PS:  There is a _lot_ of other high-quality functionality in SLALIB
> > (which is all wrapped by pyslalib) as well...
> >
> > On 03/13/2012 03:24 PM, Vivienne Baldassare wrote:
> >> Is there a python function for calculating the heliocentric velocity
> >> correction?  I found one called helcorr.py in the Astrolibpy library but
> >> am curious if there is another one worth considering.  In particular, I
> >> noticed that the major observatories aren't in by default.  If this is
> >> the only one, is it worth me improving this one?
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Vivienne Baldassare

> > --
> > Scott M. Ransom            Address:  NRAO
> > Phone:  (434) 296-0320               520 Edgemont Rd.
> > email:  sransom@nrao.edu             Charlottesville, VA 22903 USA
> > GPG Fingerprint: 06A9 9553 78BE 16DB 407B  FFCA 9BFA B6FF FFD3 2989

Kelle Cruz, PhD — http://kellecruz.com/
917.725.1334 — Hunter ext: 16486 — AMNH ext: 3404