[AstroPy] SciPy 2012

Erik Bray embray@stsci....
Wed Mar 28 13:53:54 CDT 2012

On 03/28/2012 02:36 PM, James Turner wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm just wondering who is thinking of attending SciPy in Austin this
> July 16-21:
>
>     http://conference.scipy.org/scipy2012/
>
> I've been asked by the organizers to help out, but am just figuring out
> what my plans are, since it clashes with a couple of things. If there's
> enough interest, I would propose an AstroPy sprint during the last
> couple of days, where people (including me) can get started contributing
> and focus on one or two areas of missing functionality, compared with
> eg. IRAF or IDL.
>
> I gather the next AstroPy co-ordination meeting is likely to happen
> separately elsewhere, due to people's limited availability during the
> conference season, but SciPy is a good venue for wider exposure and for
> participants to learn about other Python tools (eg. NumPy, Matplotlib,
> GPU libraries, symbolic mathematics, you name it...).
>
> Cheers,
>
> James.

I'm probably going to hold off until I see what tutorials get
accepted--the tutorials were kind of the highlight of SciPy for me last
year.  I don't recall getting too much out of the talks.  Not that there
was anything wrong with them, or that there weren't some very
interesting ones. Just that there were only a handful I felt that I took
much away from that's of immediate use to me.  But that's just me.

That said, I don't mean to sound down on SciPy. And an Astropy sprint
would be a great incentive.  I can't believe it's already been nearly a
year since last time...

Erik