[AstroPy] Coordinates subpackage - request for help

Demitri Muna demitri.muna@gmail....
Wed Nov 14 16:03:49 CST 2012

Hi,

We are in the process of testing the new astropy coordinates package. One test that I think would be useful is this (which Tom also mentioned):

* generate 1000 ra/dec J2000 random points on the sky
* convert them to, in steps,
   - galactic
   - B1950
   - ecliptic
   - equatorial J2000

Can someone do this in IDL? The result should be

* the file containing 1000 points
* the resulting points at the end of the conversions
* the IDL script

The aim is to write a script using the coordinates package and see if there are any discrepancies. We will add this to the testing suite.

I thought I'd cc the astropy list as I'm sure there are lots of people who are proficient in IDL and can probably do this pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Demitri

Demitri Muna

Center for Cosmology and Particle Physics
New York University

http://scicoder.org