[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] Coordinates subpackage - request for help

Brandon Rhodes brandon@rhodesmill....
Thu Nov 15 21:24:29 CST 2012

David Berry <d.berry@jach.hawaii.edu> writes:

> 2) Why does it need to be IDL? It's proprietary software, so many
> people will not use it. There are many tools in many freely available
> languages for creating tables of corresponding positions in different
> coordinate systems.  For instance, I could create such a table quickly
> using PyAST, which since we're talking Python seems an obvious choice.

Several of the coordinate transforms mentioned in the post (maybe all?)
are also implemented by the Naval Observatory's NOVAS library, which
requires no license and for which they now support an official Python
wrapper - though I will grant you that the API can take a bit of getting
used to:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/novas/
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/software-products/novas/novas-python

--