[AstroPy] astropy in Debian, Scientific Linux?

Sergio Pascual sergio.pasra@gmail....
Sun Apr 7 18:17:50 CDT 2013

Disclaimer: I'm a packager in Fedora Linux

John,

pip will download the tarballs of python packages and compile them using
the available tools in the system. That works well for pure Python
 packages, but once you start with packages with C dependencies things grow
fragile. For example, pip won't install the ATLAS libraries if you don't
have them and you are trying to build numpy. Other packages such as scipy
and matplotlib are difficult to build properly using pip unless you know
what you are doing.

So, in my opinion, a precompiled package is much better solution for a
casual user, someone that wants to write a short script and get a plot
quickly.

Unless, of course, you don't have root access.

Regards