[AstroPy] astropy in Debian, Scientific Linux?

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud@gmail....
Tue Apr 9 17:11:34 CDT 2013

I like the petition idea, and the fact that, as Tom A says, we have a
definite example of people who want to use it but can't... We (the
coordination committee) are still looking into getting something
concrete from SOFA, but thus far it hasn't been too promising.
Hopefully we'll have more on this soon (~few weeks).

 We absolutely want future releases to be fully
Debian/Fedora-compatible, though.  So if SOFA refuses to budge we'll
probably have to switch to our own implementations of whatever SOFA
functions we are currently using.  It wouldn't be the end of the world
or ruin the project, but it would be quite irritating and wasteful of
time (especially for `astropy.time`, given all the work you put into
the SOFA bindings, Tom).

Erik