[AstroPy] SOFA license letter (draft)

Paul Kuin npkuin@gmail....
Thu Apr 18 15:07:14 CDT 2013

Hi Tom,

That is sort of what was discussed.

I must admit that in my mind it is completely unclear why it was declared
non-free.  It does allow others its use, and the conditions are mostly in
the area of intellectual property, specifically that the software as
distributed is that of the IAU, and misrepresentation of the software or
alteration must be clearly delineated from that of the IAU. I do not think
that comes under the guise of "non-free".  "Free" does not mean "I take it
and tag my name onto it", it does not mean " I alter it and say it was made
by you ", I think that the problem is rather in the software distributors
assignment which is to blame. Focussing only on the SOFA WG is not going to
solve this. I think there needs to be a discussion of all parties involved.
 It would be good if the aim of the petition would be to get the parties
talking.

Cheers,

   Paul

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Tom Aldcroft <aldcroft@head.cfa.harvard.edu
> wrote:

> Following the long and useful discussion in the "astropy in Debian,
> Scientific Linux" thread, I have taken a crack at drafting a letter that
> can be used as the basis for discussion with SOFA board members or other
> colleagues with influence.  It is also written somewhat in the form of a
> petition.
>
> This is just a draft, but I wanted to get the ball rolling.  It would be
> very helpful if other affected parties (package managers, people with SOFA
> dependencies) can pitch in with more details.  In particular there are two
> open sections that I would hope Sergio and Ole can work on.
>
> https://github.com/astropy/astropy/wiki/SOFA-license-for-the-community
>
> I think anyone with a github account can edit, but let me know otherwise.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

* * * * * * * * http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~npmk/ * * * *
Dr. N.P.M. Kuin      (n.kuin@ucl.ac.uk)
phone +44-(0)1483 (prefix) -204927 (work) -276110 (home)
mobile +44(0)7806985366  skype ID: npkuin
Mullard Space Science Laboratory  – University College London  –
Holmbury St Mary – Dorking – Surrey RH5 6NT–  U.K.