[AstroPy] SOFA license letter (draft)

Perry Greenfield stsci.perry@gmail....
Thu Apr 18 16:40:58 CDT 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Paul Kuin wrote:

> Hi Perry,
>
> I agree that it is not free in that sense. I see it as a control issue, which may come from concerns about versions of modified software circulating which would include changes that are in conflict with the international system.
>
> However, it seems like one can make essentially a copy by changing the names of the functions, etc., add a description of the changes, state the origin of the basis of the software, and ad a GPL license. Or did I miss something?
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Paul

Well, to start IANAL :-)

So you're getting amateur legal opinions here.

Note the clause 3e:

These requirements must be reproduced intact in any source distribution and shall apply to anyone to whom you have granted a further right to modify the source code of your derived work.

So just by changing these things you don't remove the unacceptable part of the license. They basically are requiring you to propagate these terms regardless.

Perry