[AstroPy] SOFA license letter (draft)

Olе Streicher astropy@liska.ath...
Fri Apr 19 00:37:14 CDT 2013

Hi Paul,

Paul Kuin <npkuin@gmail.com> writes:
> However, it seems like one can make essentially a copy by changing the
> names of the functions, etc., add a description of the changes, state
> the origin of the basis of the software

In fact, this is one of the modifications I think about. One can then
even create a header file ("#define iauFunc whatever_Func") to reach
source code compatibility, and release the header file under PD or
BSD. From the license terms this is legal and would effectively remove
its § 3c.

This example again shows that the community could feel forced to work
against the intention of the SOFA license while formally obeying it.

And, the "no discrimination of use" problem (§ 4) is still effective
in the changed license.

Cheers

Ole