[AstroPy] Rotating a FITS image (or just its WCS)

Russell Owen rowen@uw....
Wed Jun 12 12:06:00 CDT 2013

I don't know if you'd call it "straightforward", but the usual technique is resampling the image. Resampling correlates noise and either smears the image (if you use a low-order resampling kernel) or adds ringing around sharp features (if you use a high-order kernel).

SExtractor can do this easily and quickly (so can the LSST software stack, and I'm sure there are other options). You will need to generate the desired new WCS.

-- Russell