[IPython-dev] Tab-completion of data/properties and win32com fix for IPython

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Aug 5 16:59:20 CDT 2004

Jaco Schieke wrote:
> OK.  I need to convince you guys (any myself) first that there is a
> problem though. Here is the patch for a proof of concept... I think my
> previous description of the POC may have been ambiguous, as the change
> could have been implemted in more than one place in FlexCompleter.py.
> Having applied this to FlexCompleter.py (or even rlcompleter.py at the
> right place with a vanilla python shell), things like sys.<tab> fail on
> my system (dont have access to a proper linux system to test.)  Please
> apply and verify.

Works for me here (Linux).  After applying the matches.sort() patch:

In [1]: import sys

In [2]: sys.
sys._getframe              sys.exit                   sys.path_hooks
sys.api_version            sys.exitfunc               sys.path_importer_cache
sys.argv                   sys.getcheckinterval       sys.platform
sys.builtin_module_names   sys.getdefaultencoding     sys.prefix
sys.byteorder              sys.getdlopenflags         sys.setcheckinterval
sys.call_tracing           sys.getfilesystemencoding  sys.setdlopenflags
sys.callstats              sys.getrecursionlimit      sys.setprofile
sys.copyright              sys.getrefcount            sys.setrecursionlimit
sys.displayhook            sys.hexversion             sys.settrace
sys.exc_clear              sys.ipcompleter            sys.stderr
sys.exc_info               sys.maxint                 sys.stdin
sys.exc_type               sys.maxunicode             sys.stdout
sys.excepthook             sys.meta_path              sys.version
sys.exec_prefix            sys.modules                sys.version_info
sys.executable             sys.path                   sys.warnoptions

So if this is indeed a problem under WinXP, the ball would be in Gary's court,
I'm afraid.

Best,