[IPython-dev] potential pylab bug

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 23 10:40:23 CDT 2004

First of all, I'm loving the new interactive shell.  For the first
time in 2 years of using python every day, I'm trying to do almost
everything interactively from the shell, including updating my package
from ipython w/o restarting ipython!

  cd ~/some/dir
  !sudo python setup.py install
  reload somemodule

very nice....

But I *may* have found a bug.  I have a script that produces an
errobar plot which I'm calling with run in the pylab config .  The
script imports matplotlib.matlab and nothing more.  On a call to
errorbar, the ipython session hung.  I could not control-c it control
control-z it.  A ps revealed

    hunter:~/python/projects/cluster/examples> ps
    PID TTY          TIME CMD
    29177 pts/0    00:00:00 tcsh
    29381 pts/0    00:28:51 ipython
    29405 pts/0    00:00:00 sh
    29406 pts/0    00:00:00 gnuplot
    29411 pts/0    00:00:00 ps

    hunter:~/python/projects/cluster/examples> killall -9 ipython
    hunter:~/python/projects/cluster/examples> ps
    PID TTY          TIME CMD
    29177 pts/0    00:00:00 tcsh
    29413 pts/0    00:00:00 ps

Note that gnuplot was running, and it was killed when I killed
ipython!  Is it possible that there is some vestigial gnuplot support
creaping in?

Note I have not been able to reproduce this behavior, either with the
original script or a minimal errorbar script.  I only encountered it
in the middle of a fairly long interactive session.  I just wanted to
mention FYI in case it triggers something in your mind about how
gnuplot might creap in.  I haven't used gnuplot in years so I would be
surprised if it is creaping in through on of my modules, but I can't
say for sure.

JDH