[IPython-dev] tab completion w/ spaces in filename - still broken

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jun 30 15:23:30 CDT 2004

Ville Vainio wrote:
> The current version still doesn't work, albeit it malfunctions differently:
>

> root at axp[~]|2> touch "a b c"
> root at axp[~]|3> touch "a c d"
> root at axp[~]|4> a
> a\ b\ c  a\ c\ d
> root at axp[~]|4> a\ b
> b2m                          bonobo-text-plain
> b2m.xemacs21                 bootlogd
> badblocks                    browsercaps-updater
> base-config                  brushtopbm
> basename                     bsd-write
> ... (long list snipped) ...
>
> Apparently space is a delimiter for readline even when escaped with \.
> Fix for this possibly won't be as easy...

You're right.  I tried quickly playing with readline.set_completer_delims(),
but I could not convince readline to keep the whole filename intact for
completion.  So we have a partial fix, but a full solution will require a real
readline guru (it may not be possible with python's readline, I don't know:
I'm not sure if python's readline exposes all of GNU readline).

Best,