[IPython-dev] A possible bug.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 23 14:43:19 CDT 2004

Andrea Riciputi wrote:
> Hi,
> I've found what I think is a bug. If I try to hit tab to complete a
> module object or attribute I get the following traceback. HTH to fix
> this problem.

I suppressed the nasty output in 0.6.3, but readline still doesn't properly if
you try:

[modulename.foo<TAB>

However, doing:

[ modulename.foo<TAB>
^^^ -> Note the space

works.  It has to do with how readline splits the line in pieces for
evaluation purposes.  I'll see if I can make readline complete that kind of
syntax, but no promises.  At least current ipython simply doesn't complete in
that case, instead of spitting out that scary-looking traceback.

Thanks for the report,