[IPython-user] Re: [IPython-dev] I need feedback: new escapefor @magics?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 29 12:36:57 CDT 2004

Robin Siebler schrieb:
> How about using another mostly unused key like ~ or an ALT+NUMPAD code?

~ is not mostly unused under unix environments, quite the opposite :)

Besides, it's a valid unary operator, so this is already perfectly correct
python code:

 >>> x=1
 >>> ~x
-2

I must choose something which is invalid python syntax _forever_, hence the
appeal of binary ops, or something like a closing bracket as the first
character.  I need the sequence to be, by definition, invalid python.

Alt+numpad is not a good idea: laptops don't have separate numpads, and I
don't even want to get into keyboard event handling across platforms.  There
may be a unified way to get such codes under windows, but it's certainly not
the case across Linux, Solaris, AIX, mac OSX, ...